maandag 12 januari 2015

MATS Bootcamp {January - week 2}

 

DAY 1:
The "MAIN" assignment has been announced, and I'm really really excited about it.
We're going to use our Edwardian Brooches designs for a:

Journal cover!

Lilla Rogers had prepared a great PDF-file for this assignment, with guidelines, examples and some insight on current trending colors.

My first thoughts on this assignment: It's awesome, because everything is possible on a journal cover! ... But it's pretty challenging too, because everything is possible on a journal cover!

I decided to take another walk, and brought this souvenir:



DAY 2:
First sketches! I explored the possibilities concerning the general lay-out of the journal cover.


Today's souvenir:


DAY 3:
I've done enough sketching the other day, now it's time to seriously consider the 'how'. I'm a little in conflict with myself over this, as I'm not sure what kind of technique(s) I want to use yet. 

I can either:
  • Draw shapes in black&white and color them digitally. Pros: it's quick, easy and mistakes can be fixed without any trouble. Cons: the charming effect that traditional media creates dissapears, and it just... doesn't feel right.
  • Paint shapes with acrylic paint. Pros: it has its charming traditional feel, and it's one of the main things that defines my style (if there is one to begin with). Cons: I only have one chance to get the colors right, and it takes up a lot of time.
While taking a walk I decided to give both options a go. There's no other way to find out which one is right, is there?

Today's souvenir:



Using a small brush and Indian Ink, I made various shapes as shown above. It was lovely to do, can't wait to see how they turn out digitally!

DAY 4:
My knowledge of Photoshop has always been pretty basic. I know my way around, digitalize and "clean up" all kinds of images, but... changing color of a hand-drawn picture was totally new for me. Sure, I had done it before, but it took me hours and used the most stupid tools for the job. It was like cutting bread with a fork, really. Thankfully some great people helped me out and showed me some fast and useful tricks. Time to play around! :)


DAY 4:
Digital experiments with the ink-drawings and the stamped shapes made last week.